Front Door Trim - How do you get it off !!!!!!!!!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

LanosAus

Front Door Trim - How do you get it off !!!!!!!!!

Post by LanosAus »

Hi Guys,

First few days on the forum and l have already learnt so much. I have just bought a 2002 Lanos Sports (1.6L) and am loving it.

I am just about to upgrade the audio gear (which i have left over from my turbo starlet) including front spilts, rear fill, 2 x 12inch subs, 2 x amps, 10 disc stacker and new head unit.

Anyway, i have 2 quick questions:
1. How do you get the front door trim off ?? I have had a look and can not seem to get it off, and of course the dealer where i bought it will not tell me but will charge me $100 to get them both off.
2. How do i get to the back speakers??? (same problem with the dealer)

If someone has over come this problem and could give a me a step by step process i would be very grateful and would save myself some $$$$$.
Cheers! Evan
Buy a Lanos, you'll love it
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Do you have power windows in the dors or not? Frank PR Daewoo #1 probably can help you w\ it.
ImageImage
LanosAus

Post by LanosAus »

I have power windows...........
Cheers! Evan
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

And what the problem? Oh hmm I belive I know. Just pull a litter bit the trim, you will not brake any thing. I never remove them one of my friends do it for me. I prefer to blame another. :twisted:
ImageImage
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

its very easy to remove, take out all the screws (4) and then put your fingers under the plastic at the bottum (will pinch for few seconds) then pull hard but not to fast, just nice and slow and you will hear loud poping and then the door handle will apear to be in the way, it should pop off if you keep pulling away from the door, once all snapythingies are out you need to remove that black triangle thing at the top and then just slide the pannel up about an inch and your done.

only do this if you have 1 of 2 things

1) 4.25"

2) a way to make the 4.25" speaker outlet a bigger one, i found that a 5 1/2" pvc pip fitting will work after trimming it up then you can have some 5.25"s in there but thats about as big as i care to get them.

once you have done what ever you did and want to put it back in.... well i dont know how i get it back in. all i can say is that its a bitch to get back in, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt just have fun is all i have to say
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I know the stock door speakers are 4.25", but I am making shaped MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) adapter rings so I can fit 6.5" speakers in.

:D

It should sound much better.

By the way, while you have the door panels off, it would be a REALLY good idea to install sound deadener. It will help reduce road noise inside the car, and also make the speakers sound a LOT better. There will be noticably better bass response from them, and an over all better sound.
LanosAus

Post by LanosAus »

Thank guys for the advice.

I actually have 6.5 splits that i was going to put in, but i guess i will buy some 4.25.

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz - are you hoping that the 6.5 pods you are making are going to fit in the standard, but enlarged hole and with the orginal door trim on ???

Thanks for the sound deadener advice, i will do that.

I will let you know how i go with the door.

What about getting to the rear speakers ????
Cheers! Evan
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Well as I always said, FRANK!!! this is for you, you have a lanos. He he he.... I will tell you the original speaker of the car have a good power and quality. Keep that in mind. 8)
ImageImage
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

LanosAus wrote: TheGreatAndPowerfulOz - are you hoping that the 6.5 pods you are making are going to fit in the standard, but enlarged hole and with the orginal door trim on ???

I know they will fit, as I have made a prototype as a base to model the "in progress" set I am making. They are multilayered MDF and shaped to fit the contours of the door frame and they fit JUST inside the stock door panels.

Thanks for the sound deadener advice, i will do that.

I will let you know how i go with the door.

What about getting to the rear speakers ????
If you want to do that the right way without breaking anything, you need to start by first removing the plastic panel in the center back of the hatch area; the piece that covers the whole bottom back. There are 3 child seat attachment bolts and some plastic trim snap-in tabs. They all come out.
Next, fold the rear seats foreward and then remove screws on the panels along the edge where the panels change from black to grey along the edges near the back speakers. Then remove the side panels below the speakers; they are one big section that wraps around the side.
You will have to disconnect the trunk light plug; it just snaps on with a plastic socket with female blade connecters inside.

There you have them - the back speakers are exposed from below.

They are 4x6 speakers in there, and if you want to put 6.5" in, you will have to do a little trimming of the plastic that is in here. You may also want to put some weather stripping around the edge of the new speaker so it makes a good seal.

Good luck!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :D
LanosAus

Post by LanosAus »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz you are a legend. thanks.

i will let you know how i go on the weekend.
Cheers! Evan