turbocharging the lanos 8v engine questions

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Rodd1s
Expert

Re: turbocharging the lanos 8v engine questions

Post by Rodd1s »

for those who have played around with turbo cars etc, what oil would you recommend?

currently i'm using 10w40 semi-synthetic (whilst naturally aspirated of course).
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Rodd1s wrote:
MMamdouh wrote:
Rodd1s wrote:...and also, would these injectors fit the 8v engine: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0332280107
yes they would... i got the 150cc version of those on my car

MMamdouh
good stuff... next question, would 180cc be overkill? keep in mind the low levels of boost that will be run ie: 5psi.
well... i am not sure

Tim used the injectors from a 2.0 daewoo engine (red collar) and i am not sure how much flow rate does those have

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Rodd1s wrote:for those who have played around with turbo cars etc, what oil would you recommend?

currently i'm using 10w40 semi-synthetic (whilst naturally aspirated of course).
it was said that fully synthetic oils doesn't cook thus they will be better for turbo bearings and all and you won't need a turbo timer to keep engine running at idle before turning it off

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Rodd1s wrote:for those who have played around with turbo cars etc, what oil would you recommend?

I use AMSoil full synthetic 10w40. I would reccomend any full synthetic oil. Also, unless your turbo is water cooled, I would strongly recommend still letting it run for a minute before shutting it off even with synthetic oil.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Would either of these two MAP sensors be compatible with the Lanos:

GM 2 Bar MAP sensor: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electrom ... ccessories

GM 3 Bar MAP sensor: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-3-BAR ... ccessories

or would it be better keeping the original MAP sensor and using check valves, I remember reading a post/thread on which is better to use but cant find it for the life of me. so any ideas on that, or if anyone has a link to the thread (think it was one of Chris's (PrecisionBoost) full blown explanation threads).
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

both look similar to our stock MAP, so i think it will work ;)
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

after more searching i found what i was looking for, and it cleared up exactly what i wanted to know, here's the post for future reference:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 77#p107577

the check valves i got look pretty much 100% exactly like those Tim used - judging by the pictures - so i'll be doing the same
( http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... =19&t=3189 )

one thing ive just remembered/forgotten (whichever way u look at it)... where do i get the sump gasket goo stuff from?

edit: will "Dirko Aluminium Sump Sealant" do the job? cos i can find that easy enough.
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

i would go with a 2bar o 3bar MAP depending on the Boost you plan running
also the tuning tool you will use

example of some combinations
1. SAFC with 2bar Map replacing the stock one - it will be a little tricky to get it running right from the start because the MAP would be reading lower than the stock one would, but you will compensate that using larger injectors. the correction will depend on the size of the map and injectors. Using a 2bar map and using double the size of the stock injectors will require very little correction @ idle, while using 3bar map and double size injectors will require adding voltage to the signal to compensate the larger MAP

2.SAFC with 2bar MAP and retaining stock MAP- by this method you will replace the TPS signal for the SAFC with the 2bar map. This will give you the ability to tune off boost and with boost. Set the low throttle for off boost and high throttle with boost. The SAFC will interpolate the values between let say 30-80% of the MAP voltage.

3. AEM FIC or e-Manage - this piggybacks have their own MAP sensors so no need to get a wider range one just put the check valve, also they are more expensive.

Remember that the purpose of using wider range MAPs other than not triggering the Limp Mode is making the ECU in some way able to read boost and compensate for it with help of a piggyback fuel controller
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

ive got some clearance issues with using an oil sandwich plate behind the oil filter... where else is there that i can get an oil feed from? i know older GM engines had one or two blanking plugs on the pressure side of the oil pump...
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Rodd1s wrote:ive got some clearance issues with using an oil sandwich plate behind the oil filter... where else is there that i can get an oil feed from? i know older GM engines had one or two blanking plugs on the pressure side of the oil pump...
nevermind... i made it fit!
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

id recommend the yellow bosch injectors for the 1.5 engine, adjustable fuel regulator(optional), cylinder head gasket to lower the C/R (optional), oil feed from oil pressure sensor in the lower right back side of the block is better than the sandwich adp at the filter, gives u more room for the turbo fitting. i think u would be safe running it 5-7 psi using these bits. i didnt have any map sensor problems at all even when i went up to 10psi. i got about 137 hp running 7 psi. but its better to get engine managment , i added later on the SMT6 and got alot mre out of the car. also try addin an oil cooler
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

woo_sleeper wrote:id recommend the yellow bosch injectors for the 1.5 engine, adjustable fuel regulator(optional), cylinder head gasket to lower the C/R (optional), oil feed from oil pressure sensor in the lower right back side of the block is better than the sandwich adp at the filter, gives u more room for the turbo fitting. i think u would be safe running it 5-7 psi using these bits. i didnt have any map sensor problems at all even when i went up to 10psi. i got about 137 hp running 7 psi. but its better to get engine managment , i added later on the SMT6 and got alot mre out of the car. also try addin an oil cooler
i'll remember the oil pressure sensor for future reference... cos the way ive put it all in, for a simple oil filter change i need to remove the manifold and turbo as its in the way. so when it comes to oil change time i'll change round a few things.

u say u didnt have map sensor problems... was this with the standard gm 1 bar map sensor that the car originally came with?

and... does anyone know whether the 1.3 and 1.5 engines have the same size injectors?
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

Rodd1s wrote:
woo_sleeper wrote:id recommend the yellow bosch injectors for the 1.5 engine, adjustable fuel regulator(optional), cylinder head gasket to lower the C/R (optional), oil feed from oil pressure sensor in the lower right back side of the block is better than the sandwich adp at the filter, gives u more room for the turbo fitting. i think u would be safe running it 5-7 psi using these bits. i didnt have any map sensor problems at all even when i went up to 10psi. i got about 137 hp running 7 psi. but its better to get engine managment , i added later on the SMT6 and got alot mre out of the car. also try addin an oil cooler
i'll remember the oil pressure sensor for future reference... cos the way ive put it all in, for a simple oil filter change i need to remove the manifold and turbo as its in the way. so when it comes to oil change time i'll change round a few things.

u say u didnt have map sensor problems... was this with the standard gm 1 bar map sensor that the car originally came with?

and... does anyone know whether the 1.3 and 1.5 engines have the same size injectors?

ya i used the stock map sensor had no probs with it. but i still advise to get a 2-3 bar map sensor
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

i might have to invest in a 2bar map sensor when the money starts rolling in again, havnt been to work since ive started working on the car, so not been getting paid either.
boosted

Post by boosted »

Hi mate i have a 1.5 8v turbo lanos. i did buy the car already turboed but i have replaced head gasket and just put a new turbo on. as for the map sensor i dont think its been changed. its got stock injetors and fuel pump. it run's a rate rise fuel reg. the turbo runs 10psi with no prob. i had the head ported and compresion lowerd when i replaced the head gasket i used a high strength head gasket. i have had car for a year the old turbo ran 8psi for a wile but mainly 6psi. when i put on new turbo as old one shit itself it run 10psi i checked it and it does not run lean. for a little 1.5 sohc it goes pritty good.