Turbo Advice

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Red_LaNOS

Turbo Advice

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Hi guys, im the happy owner of a 2002 1.6L 16V lanos sports with a 2.5" sports exhaust system. i love the way it handles and corners at high speeds but really feel the power lets me down. Ive been reading alot of the other forums but im getting mixed messages so i have a few questions about turbocharging this car. Firstly i really dont want to do an engine transplant tho i know holden astra engine is an option. i want to turbo charge the 1.6L engine i have but are daewoo engines able to handle being turbocharged in their current stock state? If not what do i have to have done to the engine in terms of piston heads and such and how much would this cost. I know all about air intake and intercooling so i dont need much more info on that except prehaps roughly how much it would cost? I get that with the car being turbocharged there is alot more force going through the system so a new clutch? and waht about the gearbox? does anyone know how much thsoe would cost and what type of clutch and gear box specifically would be recommended with minimal adapting.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shine a light on this.
daewoomofo

Re: Turbo Advice

Post by daewoomofo »

well yes you can turbo your stock 1.6 dohc. as long as its in good internal condition, and you dont plan on really pushing it too much. what kind of power levels are you looking to achieve? what is you budget for this project? what part of the world are you from? all of those factors will paly a part in what you can do with how much you spend.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

well im from australia the car is second hand but when i got it last year it had only done 50,000km so the engine is in very good condition. im willing to spend around 3500 hopefully less. the current engine is at a around 80kw but im really looking for over 100kw, basically the maximum i can take this engine without breaching its design limits by too much and shortening its life. i dont know exactly what the max power i can get from this engine without doing damage and i dont know what boost pressure i would exepct to run it at.
nexia182
Expert

Post by nexia182 »

i turbocharged the 1.6 16v with stock internals and i get 12.9 at the drag strip, check my project!!
DAEWOO NEXIA Turbo
1/4 Mille---> 12.9@2.600m OVER SEA LEVEL
OPEL POWER
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

remember to factor in engineering costs as well

what state are you from?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

About 150-200kw on stock internalls... You could use garrett T3 trim60, ex ar .48... It would be good for up to 300HP...

Make or buy exhaust manifold for T3 and A16DM engine, and some bigger injectors and stand alone and 150kw is at your hand... That 1.6 16v has a smaller CR (about 9.5-10:1) that is just fine for a turbo charger...