Aveo Rear 286mm Brake Disc Conversion

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

xiaogary
Junior

Aveo Rear 286mm Brake Disc Conversion

Post by xiaogary »

Dear all,

I am in the progress of doing a rear brake conversion. Using 286mm rear brake disc and a single pot rear brake disc. I will post more pictures as the progress goes.

Basically, the ABS will not be affected, as I will be using back the drum brake cover (which is the outer piece which the brake shoe rub on). It consists of the center hub, 4 X 100 studs for the rims, bearing, and a ring gear which works with the magnetic ABS sensor. I will cut away the whole outer drum part, only leaving the center hub part to reduce weight and also I need the center part consisting of the ring gear for the ABS to work as per normal. I only need the center hub, the bearing, the ring gear and the 4 studs. I will also be changing the 4 studs to longer one to accomodate a 10mm spacer so that my wheels come flush with the wheel arch instead of hiding inside the arch.

The cutted hub (drum brake cover) looked like this. The ring gear is supposed to be inside the drum brake facing the center of the car. The 4 studs is facing outwards towards the rims. The studs are under the hub in the picture. So it cannot be seen. The wheel hub is actually standing on the 4 stud in the picture.

The left is the 286mm rear brake disc I am using. The right is the 245mm original aveo front brake disc.

This is our original rear brake bracket (thickness 8mm) which is welded onto the rear arms. Have to dig out this piece to replace with another piece which is longer to mount the brake caliper. The 4 holes are for the hub. The one extra big hole is for the ABS sensor which will go through this metal brake, go through the drum brake and sense the ring gear on the hub. If this piece is not removed or digged out, the ABS sensor is not long enough to reach the ring gear with an added bracket (thickness 8mm).

After its digged out.

Customised bracket. This is before trimming. After the mounting of caliper is confirm, this will be trimmed to be smaller piece.

When its put on. I do not intend to weld it like the original bracket. Most vehicle's bracket are not welded. The cutted hub is supposed to be slotted into this center stem, with the ring gear nearer to the bracket. The ABS sensor will sense the ring gear through the hole you see. The big hole is for sensor to pass through. The smaller hole is the ABS mounting or securing screw.

Original drum brake assembly which is supposed to sit on the original bracket. Look at the drum shoes after 90,000km and 4 years usage. Still have 1mm left thickness for the thinner side (right side). Quite lasting I would say.

Will post more tomorrow or the day after. Do check back if you are interested.
Aveo 1.7M DOHC
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

Hi

My handphone went out of battery, so was unable to take some pictures missing in the process. But anyway, the brake bracket and the ABS Hub is the most important part and I am glad I had snapped them to share with you guys/gals. What was missed was the piece of bracket with an additional 2 holes to mount the caliper and also the trimming of it to be smaller and lighter and more beautiful (hidden when view from under the car and outside the rim).

I went on to spray the center of the brake disc black also. As you can see, the brake caliper is only utilising part of the disc near the outer diameter, the center part was sprayed matt black.

The caliper and blue vttr brake pad was sprayed bronze to match the color of my front caliper. But realised the color is not very nice. Might spray to another color next few days. But not yet decided what color. Any suggestion which color will look great?

The 286mm EG6 caliper + VTTR rear disc brake looks small in my 17 inch OZ rims.

Aveo 1.7M DOHC
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

Some pictures of my front brake. Its pretty straight forward. Just have a extension bracket to extend the caliper mounting out for bigger disc clearence to fit the 303 mm disc.

Aveo 1.7M DOHC
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this is very nice work man

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

VERY GOOD WORK! we may have to talk more in detail so we can make this available over here.

well done!
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

More images.

6 pot caliper made up of light weight titanium alloy. Even the brake pistons are lightweight.

550 degrees celcius brake pads.

2 piece brake rotor. There are 4 X 100 pcd model available, but I didnt bother to wait for the stocks to arrive, so I just drilled 4 X 100 holes and its ready to be used immediately.

Aveo 1.7M DOHC
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

The rear offset disc made of lightweight aluminium alloy. 10mm thick. Original silver in color. This is after sprayed black together with rear brake hub and disc center.

Rear brake without the wheel blocking the view.

With the spacer on

Aveo 1.7M DOHC
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Looks like you could be getting soooooo much more grab area on the rear disk there, or did you plan it to be with the smaller caliper to keep the bias ok?
SAZ
---------------------
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

My friend installed EK 9 or integra rear caliper. Its abt 1cm longer finger and the brake pad stretch longer and near into the center of the hub. But as you said, the bias is shifted slightly to rear. Right now, my suspension and brake set up are just nice. I would say its difficult to get any better.
Aveo 1.7M DOHC
drjdup

Post by drjdup »

Wow... this is a sweet job... good deal man...

Jarmar.................
nefary
Junior

w

Post by nefary »

will it be the same for the Non ABS aveos?

and I want to know the cost , performance , and the suspension acts is the same or be harder ??

anyway it is a marvelous work
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

Should be the same for non ABS aveo since they got the same hubs and rear axles.

Suspension, I am using 12Kg (due to heavy aveo engine and light hatch tail) for front and 5 kg for rear spring. Great performance, shock harness adjustable in 32 clicks for comfort when not in the mood to speed too.
Aveo 1.7M DOHC