85HP shot nitrous kit

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Bob3825

85HP shot nitrous kit

Post by Bob3825 »

Guys i have an 85hp dry nitrous kit laying around and i thought of installing it in the 1.6 16v, but i'm afraid that it would be too much, i have larger injectors laying around that run the car very rich as a way of increasing fuel a bit, but I've never had any experience with NOS before, actually i was against it but considering how easy to install it is i thought what the hell

i could also get colder plugs and use 95 octane as a max here
99 1.6 3dr lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: 85HP shot nitrous kit

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Dry kit will definitly cause some issues.... larger injectors may not help

To make it safe you would probalby had to go up to 42lb/hr injectors and run premium gasoline.

You will definitly need to retard the ignition with that much Nitrous.

water/methanol injection would help quite a bit and allow you to avoid modifying the ignition.... but there is no guarantee that your engine will be happy.

colder plugs would probably be needed.

I'd have to guess your stock clutch will give out with an 85 shot.

You should be able to re-jet the nitrous nozzles and bring the shot down to something more reasonable ( say 35 )

If you don't know what your doing you should definitly take it to a knowledgeable shop for the install.... Nitrous can be very dangerous if you don't intall it correctly.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

I found today a 50 hp shot nozzle which i might get if i don't find anything lower, the idea is i like to take care of all the factors before doing any install, so the mechanical work is fine and actually easy, but i'm just trying to make sure that everything else will hold the amount of nitrous injected

i might go for the water injection because i wanted to do this as a diy for some time, so this might be the time
99 1.6 3dr lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The biggest issue is ensuring that you run your lines correctly and ensure that there are absolutely 0.0000000 leaks.... or it could kill you.

That is to say you need a nice big hole with a nice thick soft rubber grommet to ensure that the lines from the tank do not get damaged via sharp edges on the sheet metal.... even under the car your best off to hide it where it's not too close to the exhaust and not in the open where a rock could hit and crack/break/cut the line.

Nitrous is very dangerous and caution should be taken to ensure that you get everything done just right..... you need to use the right connections, the right thread sealant.......

Don't get me wrong.... you can do it yourself.... but you need to be experienced enough to know how and where to run the lines... where to mount the bottle... how to hook up the solenoid , switch and what ever other electrical you may need... if it's a newer system it will have a TPS sensor tap which needs calibration.

Usually NOS is only sprayed at WOT with the button.... quite often the electronics will have built in timers for the duration of the shot.

Then there is the purge line/solenoid.... lots of people make the mistake of not having a purge valve..... this can lead to major drivability issues.

That is to say when you shut off your NOS air will build up in the lines.... so when you hit the button the next time all you get is air for the first second and then all of a sudden the NOS kicks in.

Ideally you need a purge solenoid and line to get rid of the air in the system.... the purge line should be pointed somewhere where you can see it.... but somewhere where nobody will be hurt by the NOS spray which is very very cold.

Does this Nitrous kit already have a bottle, hoses, electrical, solenoid and all the rest of the stuff ?

To me a Nitrous install is fairly important... if something happens it's all on your shoulders ( if you survive )

If it's done by an experienced shop a dry nitrous install shouldn't take more than a couple hundred to get it professionally installed ( 2 to 3 hours max)

The things that will take the longest are running the nitrous hose to the engine bay and hooking up the electronics.

Even if you just get them to mount the bottle and install the line you should be much safer than if you do it yourself ( as long as the shop is experienced with nitrous )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh.... my other 2 cents..... ZEX makes an awesome wet nitrous kit.... very simple and easy to set up
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

I only fount the Holley kit, but it has the bottle and 2 mounting brackets, 2 nozzles, and its electrical switch with wiring and all stainless steel lines and i guess they are braided, but no purge solenoid

i'll be thinking about some major stuff after your valuable info, i just thought of something which might work, what if i disconnect one of the nozzles, won't that be equivalent to a 42.5 shot? because the input of the second nozzle is the output of the first

i'll also try to get a picture for the kit to look at it
99 1.6 3dr lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am still against this mod.

1- its a dry kit
2- shot too big for the engine
3- not much room to tune (compaerd to tuning a turbo)
4- if every thing goes fine.. you are only going to get a 15 seconds of fun (not to mention the hassle of refills)

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

damn.... i was thinking puting NOS in my car also, but now... hell no, rather turbo my engine lol :lol:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

in my opinion: the only advantage for NOS over turbo is the installation process... other than that; turbo system beats the hell out of NOS

and after Precisionboost's comment... i recon NOS stands for "NO Safety"

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Nitrous is a cheap way to get real useable power but most people don't realize the danger of nitrous.... it can create a big explosion if things aren't done right.

Don't get me wrong.... I like Nitrous... but it has to be tuned correctly to the size of your engine and it should be a wet kit.... not dry.

I don't even know why they make Dry kits.... it's engine death in a bottle in my opinion.

Installation of a nice kit is much easier to setup and tune than a turbo, it should be possible to put in a nice ZEX kit for under $1500 if you don't get too crazy with accessories.

A bottle warmer is a good investment... so is a remote bottle opener.

Purge system is definitly a good idea to ensure that you get the power exactly when you expect ( so that you don't flood the engine with gasoline and no nitrous )

To me the biggest problem with a dry kit is fuel.... yes you can put bigger injectors in and stuff like that but what happens when your not on nitrous....your injectors will be dumping in twice the amount of fuel that it will normally want so you get less than factory horsepower off nitrous and you use shitloads of fuel..... expect your gas mileage to drop 30% right off the start.

With a wet kit it pushes fuel into the system only when the nitrous is engaged.... it's just that simple.... your car uses the same injectors and will be happy mileage wise and then when you hit the nitrous you get pushed into your seat and enjoy a nice shot of acceleration.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

:D Wow, now I'm thinking over the whole process, well it will all depend on the availability of the nozzles and purge solenoid, because the whole point of me installing this kit is that i just had it, but if I'm going to start spending lots of money then of course I'll invest it in a turbo setup, i have almost everything for it except the turbo, i even have a VEMS standalone engine management, but i'm waiting to get some decent coil on plugs first to install it properly with fully sequential injection and ignition, because after my first install, i found out the hard way that our wasted spark coil pack isn't compatible since it has a built in driver and VEMS has its built in igniters too
99 1.6 3dr lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

VEMS should have an option for a 5V pulse ( pull up ) instead of the usual 12V pull down.

As far as sequencial injection, it's not such a bad thing to have batch injection at higher RPM and or WOT.

Sequential will help with fuel mileage but injecting 1+4 together and 2+3 together should give you slightly more power.

The fuel being injected during the off cycle will evaporate and cool the air in the immediate vicinity of the intake port ( as well as the intake valve )

Some aftermarket systems give you the option to switch from sequential to batch at a particular RPM level ..... say 3000 RPM for example.

Going nitrous and turbo are not out of the question, the NOS can compliment a turbo quite well.

Of course to make use of it were talking about possible upgrades to the engine and the clutch at this point.... did you have a "plan" for how much power you want to make?
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

For the turbo i was aiming at 200 crank hp, but not for the NOS since it was a try out

As for VEMS it does have stepper motor outputs which are 5v but then i would have to lose the IAC because ours is a 4 wire dual solenoid type, my main problem was the Trigger sensor(VR), i never could get it setup right so i ended up installing the vems and removing it up t 3 times until i ran out of time so i'm waiting for the next free time i have so i can give it another go because this is my only car so i need it to move around.
99 1.6 3dr lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

PrecisionBoost wrote:I don't even know why they make Dry kits.... it's engine death in a bottle in my opinion.
I've seen indonesian modified cars where they have a dry kit injecting after the TB and the AFM!!!
:roll:
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~